Sunday, April 20, 2008

I can't believe she is TWO!!

Where oh where has the time gone? Lola's birthday snuck up so quickly! I was planning on blogging more often around her birthday but with having a family Easter/birthday party at our house I got caught up with cleaning and getting everything ready for Easter Sunday...and who knows what else....well life....It's now A MONTH after her birthday!!! So here I am, Lola is now two and I finally have some time to blog. YAY! It will take me a bit to get caught up but there are lots of pictures to post and lots to tell.

Let me start with how a few weeks before Lola's birthday I was getting up numerous times at night. Running into Lola's room because she was screaming and all she ever wanted was milk. So of course I got her milk. Soon she wanted it every time I came to check on her. After a couple weeks of this I had to put an end to it. I honestly thought she wasn't getting enough to eat during the day so I fell into her trap. She must have been testing to see what she could get away with. One night I told her she couldn't have milk but she could have water from her sippy cup (which I left in her crib). She screamed and screamed. She threw her soother out of her crib and I didn't go in right aways. I let her "go" for a while. I went in then and gave her the soother and she soon stopped to cry. The next night she tried milk again but I didn't give in, she cried again but not as long. The next night she slept through. Finally!

We were wanting to put Lola into her toddler bed (which I picked up for 20 bucks) on her birthday but with all the sleepless nights we had recently had I suggested we hold off for another month and see how things went. Then on her birthday I decided we should just DO IT. With the Easter long weekend, it might be a good time to get her adjusted if we were to have a few sleepless nights then at least Jonathan wouldn't be working. On good Friday I washed her bed and after her nap I began to set it up.

She wasn't too happy that I had moved her crib away from it's original spot but then I explained to her what I was doing and she wouldn't leave my side. As I placed the headboard and foot board in their places, Lola decided to sit in between them and after each piece was put together she continued to try to sit as if she were sitting in her bed already. It seemed to be a good sign. Once her crib mattress went on her toddler bed she seemed really excited! She climbed on and off her bed and then would just lay there and smile. Another good sign. I quickly got her crib out of there and got her blankets and pillow all set up.

That evening we went to Jon's mom's for dinner. We put the kids down for night there and when we got home Lola was still half asleep so we put her down and she woke up once during the night (needing a drink) and at 6am I thought I heard her so I sent Jonathan to check on her and she was in Zoey's room! She threw some of her stuffed animals in her crib and wanted to get in with Zoey (it's a usual morning thing we do). Jon sent her back to her room, tucked her in and told her to go back to sleep. Luckily Zoey fell back asleep too. At 7am she woke up and came into our room. I have to say it was a good night with her sleeping in her new bed.
On Lola's birthday we went shopping at Bellis Fair. Yeah, I know that probably wouldn't be her first choice to do on her birthday but it was the only day that worked out to go with Rose (my sister-in-law) and Arie (her little guy). We did take the kids to a play area in the mall. They loved it! Up and down the slides, climbing over the little obstacles and enjoying time with other kids. The kids both slept on the drive home (an hour..tops). Needless to say she was pretty tired and whiny the rest of the day.

I made her favourite meal it's a delicious paste cooked al dente smothered with a rich creamy cheese other words good old KD! We served Lola with her plate and she dug in but as soon as she saw daddy's bigger portion she wanted his! So Jon let her eat off his plate as much as she wanted. She ended up eating her portion PLUS half of Jon's plate!! Where she fit all those noodles...I have no idea! She would've played the perfect role for a Kraft Dinner commercial. We decided to give her dessert after her bath. Again I made one of her favourites...vanilla pudding. Yum!

We decided to give her presents the next day since she hardly had a nap. Our poor girl was exhausted......


rachel joy said...

Great update Genny. We're working on the big boy bed with Marty. It's going okay, certainly not great. I've been playing a bit of musical beds the last few nights because he wakes up at weird times. I'm sure it doesn't help that he seems to be fighting a cold.

kelly said...

i LOVE the pictures!!!! glad the transition seems to be going well - hopefully that continues :)

Theresa said...

Hey there! So, I'm sitting linking from blog to blog and look who I found! Wowzers! You got a couple of cuties!!!
Here's me saying Hi!
Theresa (& Chad)